When we started with alpacas, many years ago, we were enthusiastic owners but lacking in experience. We purchased well and began our herd with excellent alpacas, which have been the foundation of our success.
Over the years, through discussions with other breeders, reading websites, books, scientific papers and most importantly, working with our alpacas every day, we are now experts.
We are happy to pass on our knowledge and experience to those wishing to develop a herd, whether just a few pet alpacas or for development of a commercial herd.
Not just a pretty face, alpacas are production animals, the product being valuable fleece which may be sold for many uses.
We work closely with our customers, offering guidance, support and education as desired, so that you can enjoy these beautiful animals and realise your alpaca ambitions.
Alpacas for sale?
All cria for 2014 have now been been born. Half are already sold or reserved but there are a few dams with cria available for sale. Additionally we offer breeding females and males for sale in all colours - both huacaya and suri.
Our sales list changes regularly so do call with your requirements.
- If you are thinking about purchasing, do take an in-depth look at our website, there is lots of useful advice available.
- Call us on 07887 511774, we can arrange a farm visit, listen to your goals and hep you to select the ideal alpaca for your setting. If you need to return to the farm several times to fine tune your ideas, then please do. We are happy to move your selected alpacas into a quarantine paddock so that you can see how your selection looks as a group and get close and handle them.
- We can advise on paddock/farm design to that your alpacas can thrive, making maintenance and husbandry seamless and keeping you as biosecure as is reasonably possible. We were one of the first alpaca farms in the UK to apply for an independent bio-security assessment and were delighted to be awarded the highest, 'Gold' certification. We have continued to apply these common sense, scientific approaches at Lyme Alpacas. We breed some of the strongest alpaca genetics and conformationally correct alpacas in the UK, but in line with our approach to minimising alpaca stress and maintaining the strongest bio-security you will never see us at agricultural shows!
- You are welcome to join us at an introductory husbandry course. We also run courses on mating / birthing alpacas and the science of parasitology, no previous experience is required.
Purchasing from Lyme Alpacas
We want you to be delighted with your herd so we ensure your alpacas are...
- Pedigree registered with the British Alpaca Society and microchipped.
- Easy to handle. When we mate alpacas, we don't look only at fleece and body charactieristics but also at temperament. Most of our stock has been born and reared here, so has been handled regularly and hand fed every day. Alpacas are no different from any other animal, - if you treat them with care and kindness they are calm in return!
- Conformationally correct.
- Supplied with full husbandry records, accurate and up to date.
- Parasite free. With our on-farm laboratory, we are able to give a complete parasite screen on your chosen alpacas ensuring that your new herd is free from mites, worms and coccidia. We offer annual screening on all alpacas purchased from our farm so you can be confident of the continued internal health of your alpacas.
- Supplied with fleece data sheets with fibre stats, colour confirmation and fleece yields by year.
- Breeding stock is proven with no history of difficult births.
- Pregnant if required...Females purchased, have the option of a mating with one of our elite studs - all colours available (huacaya), white stud (suri)
- All breeding females supplied with a veterinary health certificate which may be used for insurance purposes.
- Any females mated are delivered with confirmation of pregnancy through spit-off and ultrasound. A certificate is provided to confirm pregnancy, stating mating dates and expected cria delivery date.
- Supplied with a free sack of feed supplement. This ensures consistency of feed through the transition from Lyme Alpacas to your farm, with the aim of minimizing digestive stress for the alpacas.
- Supplied with laminated field sheets, on 'Useful contacts', 'Husbandry', 'Birthing', 'Poisonous Plants'.
- Delivered free of charge within a 50mile radius of Lyme Alpacas, with a per mile charge for greater distances.
You can be confident going forward as we are always available by phone or email to answer questions and give advice. There is no such thing as a silly question, - we are here to help!
To arrange to visit the farm contact
or telephone Sue on 07887 511774